top of page


  • What is the purpose of a clinical study?
    Clinical studies (also called clinical trials) are used to learn about the safety and effectiveness of new medications, medical devices, and medical procedures. Although there are many types of clinical trials, all must conform to strict rules set by each country’s regulatory authorities. These rules help protect the rights and safety of those who volunteer to take part in clinical trials.
  • Has the study medication been used before?
    Yes, the study medication has been used before. In this study, the study medication will be tested as an injection under the skin (in the abdomen or thigh) for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Since the study medication has not yet been approved for this indication, it is considered investigational for purposes of this study.
  • Has the study medication been used before for knee OA?
    Yes, in a previous clinical study with 112 participants with knee osteoarthritis, it was shown that twice weekly injection of the study medication was effective in reducing knee pain. Those study results supported further research of the study medication for knee osteoarthritis pain.
  • How many people will participate in this study?
    This study will enroll up to 938 men and women with knee osteoarthritis at select study locations in the US, Australia, Canada, UK, Belgium, Czech Republic, and Poland.
  • Does everyone in the study receive the investigational medication?
    No, as part of the study participants will be randomly assigned (like rolling a dice) to receive either the investigational medication (75% chance) or a placebo medication (25% chance). The placebo medication looks just like the investigational medication but has no active ingredient. Neither you nor your doctor will know which medication you receive. This is a common technique in clinical studies, as it helps doctors and researchers understand the effects of the investigational medication without bias
  • Will I have to pay for anything if I choose to join the study?
    No, participants in the study will receive all study-related care and study medication at no cost. Health insurance is not required to participate. You will be compensated for your time and travel to attend required visits at your study doctor’s office
  • How long does the study last?
    The study lasts about 6 - 7 months. Following an initial Screening Visit to confirm if you are eligible to join the study, you will begin the Treatment Period (about 6 weeks). During the Treatment Period, you will visit your study doctor’s office twice per week for 6 weeks to receive the study injection. Once the Treatment Period has ended, you will enter a Follow-Up Period (about 5 months) to understand how the treatment worked for you. The Follow-Up Period involves 5 total visits to your study doctor’s office, each about 1 month apart.
  • What if I join the study and decide I do not want to participate anymore?
    As with all clinical studies, your participation is completely voluntary. You may leave the study at any time without any effect on your future medical care
  • I am interested in possibly moving forward. What is the next step?
    Please contact your local study center, and they will work with you to schedule a convenient time for your initial visit.


To check if you are eligible to take part in the HOPE4OA trial, answer a few simple questions below.
For more detailed information about the Hope4OA trial and its requirements, click below.
bottom of page